Aguadilla (Former Ramey Base)

Home       Lighthouses

 
 

    The second Aguadilla lighthouse entered service in 1922, substituting the original lighthouse, which was damaged by an earthquake in 1918. It was constructed little more than a mile away from the first lighthouse and over 200 feet above sea level, on the area then known as Punta Gorda. Here the light was more visible to the ships that sailed from Europe to the Panama Canal. This tower is 60 feet tall and does not connect to the keepers’ residence, which measures 56 feet long by 40 feet wide.

    The third-order lens was constructed by the Macbeth Company in New York and projected its light 18 miles away. As in the other lighthouses, the weights that rotated the lens descended through the column of the spiral iron stairway. In 1947 the lantern was removed and the lens was substituted by a pair of search lights more appropriate for air travel, since by then the lighthouse was located in the Ramey Air Force base. Years later these lights were substituted by the smaller pair used today. The tower was finally automated in 1976. Access to the lighthouse grounds is limited to Coast Guard employees who rent the residence. The living rooms of both apartments conserve the white, gray, and black tiles installed in 1922. The lighthouse can be observed from the entrance gate and from the adjacent golf course.

See the lighthouse location