Arroyo

Home       Lighthouses

 
 

    The Arroyo or Point Figuras lighthouse entered service on March 16, 1893. It was built as a link between the Caja de Muertos and Maunabo lighthouses, and as a guide for the Arroyo and Patillas ports. Little is known about its construction but it evidently served as model for the Vieques lighthouses, which are similar and share the peculiar pattern of alternating circles and rectangles at the base of the cornice. The Arroyo lighthouse, however, did not have the same distribution of spaces, the tower was taller, and the building originally had no rear door. The lighthouse measures 59 feet long by 26 feet wide.

    It was originally painted light gray with white details and black baseboard. The fifth-order lens projected its light twelve miles away. The octagonal tower is 44 feet tall and is located at the center of the building. In 1938 an automatic light was installed near the beach and the lighthouse was boarded and closed. The building reopened during World War II as an observation post and was closed again after the war. The army leased its surroundings until 1963, after that date the structure was vandalized repeatedly and deteriorated to the point that only the walls, the tower, and a small segment of the roof remained. The lantern and the lens were apparently destroyed by vandals in 1969. The National Parks Company restored the lighthouse in 2003 and incorporated it to the adjacent Point Guilarte National Park. The lantern and the tower’s stairway are the only elements that did not follow the structure’s original design..

See the lighthouse location