Ceiba

Home       Lighthouses

 
 

    The Ceiba lighthouse entered service in 1908. It was designed following the style used for the San Juan lighthouse (El Morro), and constructed on Cabras Island, the eastern tip of Puerto Rico, opposite Vieques Island. The establishment of a lighthouse at this location was included in the first maritime illumination plan (1869) but was discarded later. The building was constructed of gray stone, with white trim, and had a sixth-order lens. It had one room on each floor and was occupied by a keeper until 1931, when an acetylene torch was installed. The building was closed and boarded in 1937. In 1965 an automatic light was installed on a tower nearby and a year later the lighthouse was demolished.