Rincon 1

Home       Lighthouses

 
 

    The first Rincon or Point Higuero lighthouse entered service on January 17, 1893. It was designed by José María Sainz and built by the government itself on high ground at the western tip of the island, in order to guide ships navigating the Mona Passage. In contrast to the other lighthouses, which followed a sober Neoclassic style, this one (like the Guanica lighthouse) had an elaborate brick cornice and parapet. The rustic stone walls were covered with white stucco that matched the baseboard rocks.

    The coat of arms of the Corps of Roads, Channels and Ports Engineers was placed over the entrance. The lighthouse measured 50 feet long by 28 feet wide, with the octagonal 32-foot tower located at the center of the structure. The sixth-order lens projected its light eight miles away. The 1918 earthquake cracked and weakened the structure to the point that it was judged unsafe and a new wooden dwelling for the keeper was erected nearby. The tower was reinforced and continued operating until 1921, when the lantern was moved to the new lighthouse, on top of which it still remains. The tower was removed and the lighthouse was transformed into a school. The building was demolished in 1931; its foundation persisted until the mid-1990s, when it was removed during the construction of the park that houses the current lighthouse.

See the former location of the lighthouse