Kurz’s fig

 
 

Kurz’s fig is native to China and Southeast Asia from India to Malaysia. It reaches a height of 30 feet, with one or more trunks supplemented by aerial roots. The leaves are up to 4 inches long and have two lateral veins that originate near the base of the leaf. Leaves and branches produce a white latex when cut. Flowers are minute and develop within figs up to five-eights of an inch long that grow at the bases of the leaves. It flowers throughout the year. The generic name derives from an old name for Ficus carica, the species that produces the commercial fig. The species name honors the German botanist Wilhelm Sulpiz Kurz (1834-1878).


The photographed tree is behind the Ángel F. Espada Gymnasium. There are several other trees in the campus; for example, between the Sánchez Hidalgo Building and the Auxiliary Services Department (planted by Joaquín Oliver in 1964), between the General Library and the Chardón Building, and behind the de Diego Building.

Ficus kurzi (Moraceae)