Palo de rosa

 
 

Palo de rosa is native to the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. It is considered an endangered species due to the isolation and reduced size of its populations. It reaches a height of 50 feet, with a trunk 16 inches in diameter. The leaves are up to 3.5 inches long. Flowers are about a quarter of an inch wide and appear generally in groups of three. Fruits are approximately 1 inch in diameter and have one very large seed, the ripe fruit is black. It flowers and produces fruit mainly during spring and summer. The generic name honors the German botanist Otto Eugen Schulz (1874-1936). The species name means red wood.


The photographed tree is west of the Chardon Building and is the only member of the species in the campus. It was planted by Carlos Figueroa in 1990 and has not yet flowered.

Ottoschulzia rhodoxylon (Icacinaceae)